Lonesome Dove Baptist Church

This church is a living symbol of the courage and fortitude, vision and faith that carved out of a stubborn wilderness not only homes but Tarrant and surrounding counties' first link with religion.
Pearl Foster O'Donnell

A summary of the organization of Lonesome Dove Baptist Church including the names of the charter members is carved in a granite marker. This memorial stone is located near the front of the church.

 
LONESOME DOVE BAPTIST CHURCH CEMETARY
Minutes preserved 1846-1968.

Organized Feb. 1846 in Chas. & Lucinda Throop's home 3 mi. east by 12 Baptists. Joined the next day by 11 Baptists. Eld. J. Hodge, Deacon James Gibson formed the presbytery. 1st building at this site 1847.

When elected Eld. John Freeman, who had served as teacher and part-time preacher since 1846. He served as permanent pastor 1847-1857. In adjoining cemetery rest many Tarrant County pioneers, several among 1st elected officials when it was organized in 1850.

CONSTITUENTS

Hall Medlin - Clerk   Maryann (Foster) Leonard
John Freeman - Moderator   Felix Mullikin
Nancy (Harris) Freeman   Rachel Foster Mullikin
Mary Medlin Anderson   Henry Suggs
Susannah (Medlin) Foster   Saleta (Foster) Suggs
Lucina (Foster) Throop   Henry Atkinson
 

Note: The text is transcribed in accordance with the marker inscription.

Services have been held at Lonesome Dove Baptist Church for over 150 years. The church is located at:

2380 Lonesome Dove Road
Southlake, Texas 76092.
Phone: (817) 488-9568

Suggested reading:

O'Donnell, Pearl Foster. Lonesome Dove Baptist Church. Fort Worth, Texas, 1968.

__________. Trek to Texas. Fort Worth, Texas: Branch-Smith, Inc., 1966.


 

Index to Crowley Heritage Page
Acknowledgments
Bear Creek Missionary Baptist Church Charter - 1853
Bibliography
Civil War & Post Civil War Letters
Genealogical & Historical Web Sites
Leonard's Mill - Historical Marker
Lonesome Dove Baptist Church - Historical Marker
Pioneer Women

© 1997 to present by George & Pat Crowley